Thursday, January 28, 2010

Missing Friends

I am in my fifties and I have an active blog which all our relatives read. This one is for writing my views about things that I have got to get off my chest under cover of anonymity. Not that I have any revolutionary ideas bubbling within me to change the world. Sometimes you just need to share certain things with friends and not with relatives!
My first grouse is that I have hardly any friends in my age group blogging. I am the only one of my generation who checks mails every day! I learnt to operate computers, emailing, web designing, blogging etc., thanks to my daughters who actively encouraged me to do all these to communicate with them when they were in college. (Of course IIMs and US schools have 24 hours internet connection and I learnt the skills in record time just so that I could chat with my daughters whom I missed like hell! )
Second, all my college friends seem to have vanished into thin air as my repeated registration in Facebook and Twitter hardly turn up any of them. As I have lost touch with all of them I thought the Internet was the easiest place where I could locate them. But, as my daughters pointed out, few in my age group (50s) are tech savvy enough to be blogging and/or tweeting! I haven't given up but keep raking the sites in the hope of locating at least one.
All my walking friends in our locality are well-educated, some holding responsible jobs but not to be seen in the blogosphere, simply because noone has been compelled as yet to move further from reading emails. Of course you need more than the half an hour of puffing and huffing, to hold an intelligent conversation about any topic.
The other day I read this joke in 'Life's like That' in the Readers' Digest where a cute young secretary refers to email as the old-fashioned way of communication! Twitter and Facebook are the 'normal' communication for them! Looks like my friends are left in the stone age as far as this young generation is concerned! So I am following many blogs lurking and sometimes commenting. With my morning cup of coffee I read all the new posts of the ones I have subscribed to, in Google Reader and start the day with a spring in my step. They are in their 20s to their 80s but all have a sense of humour and post regularly. My daughters know I read theirs regularly. The others are my cyber 'friends' whose life stories I follow and who are not even aware of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment